In South Texas, we have seasons with a warmer edge. We tend to do a lot of family gatherings outdoors and we’re known for our great outdoor barbeques. Perhaps an outdoor kitchen would be a great option for you and your family.
Outdoor kitchens have certainly become one of the hottest items in home building in the last few years. You can get the same options from your indoor kitchen and you can put those things in your outdoor kitchen. For example, you can get cabinets, grills, and refrigerators, but there’s one thing that’s totally different — everything has to be waterproofed.
The most basic item for your outdoor kitchen is a barbecue grill — don’t forget that what makes it a kitchen is that you have a place to cook. You have a few options when it comes to an outdoor grill, you can get something that is prefabricated, semi-custom or fully customized.
A BBQ grill is the most popular choice for outdoor cooking, but there are other outdoor cooking options:
- A fireplace outside can easily be transformed into a place outside where you can cook. The idea of being able to mingle around this outdoor fireplace really adds to this outdoor living room feeling.
- More casual than a fireplace, a fire pit can also be used to cook — with a rotisserie, skewers or a grill over the open flame.
- Another way of cooking outside is to include an outdoor oven in your kitchen. A brick oven or a pizza oven add character to the room and create a wow factor.
Some additional considerations for your outdoor kitchen include:
- No kitchen would be complete without a sink. Outdoor sinks are either fed with a hose or connected to the home’s water supply. Good choices for your outdoor sink would be either stainless steel or ceramic.
- You might want to consider keeping your kitchen sheltered from the elements. You can definitely have a shelter over your kitchen area, but experts wouldn’t recommend having a ceiling or shelter over the grill area because of all the smoke.
- Finally, it’s important to consider proper flooring. Try to avoid using flooring that is slick.
If you’re interested in having your own outdoor kitchen, please contact BRAVI to set up a consultation today!